We’ve changed the game – AGAIN! You can now buy, deposit, and play using crypto instantly with Changelly at Punt. Find out how to use it and benefit now!
Slots vs Blackjack – Which Is Better to Play? Find Out Now
If you’re playing in a casino, whether it be land-based or online, naturally, you’d be wondering which types of casino games you should be playing – or better yet, which games will give you the best chance of winning.
Now, we’ve already covered choosing between slots or table games in general, but today, we’re narrowing the choice down to the most popular casino game overall, and the most popular table game of them all – slots or blackjack.
Of course, slot games are by far the popular choice, but for reasons that don’t necessarily prove slots to be the better game. There are many factors to consider when choosing between slots vs blackjack, and we’re about to reveal them all.
The difference between slots vs blackjack
Besides the obvious fact that slots have spinning reels where you’ll need to match symbols to form payouts and blackjack is played with cards and chips on a table, there are a few more differences to consider when choosing between slots or blackjack.
Firstly, slots come in many different shapes and sizes, often giving you the chance to partake in special bonus games and unlock features – especially in online slots. They are pretty much only limited to the imaginations of the creators, and they keep evolving as time goes on.
Blackjack, on the other hand, is a timeless casino classic. The rules and mechanics of the game generally stay the same, regardless of whether you’re playing online or on land. Yes, blackjack has also evolved to include many added features and bonus side bets, but the overall idea stays the same.
Another major difference between slots vs blackjack is that a slot is purely a game of chance, whereas blackjack does require some skill and know-how to play the game, or to play the game well, at least.
This is one of the main reasons why slots are the popular choice – not only because there are more options to choose from in slots, but also because most players don’t know how to play blackjack, or simply don’t want to play a game where decision-making is required.
Online slot games basically require you to click a button and spin the reels, hoping that the payout symbols will form a winning combination once the reels stop.
Blackjack requires you to place your bets and draw numbered cards to reach as close to 21 without going over, hoping that your hand will better the dealer’s to secure a payout equal to your bet. These 2 games couldn’t be more different.
Understanding odds and house edge
Still can’t decide between slots or blackjack? Good, because there is something else you should consider. You can read many articles on this topic online, and most of them will tell you that blackjack is the way to go when considering blackjack odds vs slots odds.
If you want to determine which game is the better choice in terms of the odds, you’ll need to look at something called the “house edge”. The house edge is the mathematical advantage a casino has over the player, and applies to each and every casino game in the house.
The house edge is a percentage based on the difference between the payout for a winning bet and the odds of winning that bet. It is the opposite of the RTP (Return To Player) percentage displayed in the rules of many online casino games. Let’s compare the house edge for slots vs blackjack.
Blackjack House Edge
The house edge for blackjack games is generally lower than for slots at an average of 2% to 3%. This means that the payback percentage (RTP) is around 97.% to 98%. However, that depends on the type of blackjack you are playing.
Using Blackjack Basic Strategy could even lower the house edge to a staggering 0.5%. One of our popular blackjack games on the menu, for example – Blackjack from Dragon Gaming, displays a theoretical RTP of 99.50% in the menu.
Slots House Edge
The average RTP for slot games is around 95%, but you’ll find many slots on our menu with RTPs above 97% such as Mr. Macua or Quest to the West from Betsoft, for example – both sporting RTPs above 97% with many more on the menu.
At the end of the day, it all comes down to the specific game you choose. You can find the RTP percentages displayed in the menu of most casino games, so if you’re opting for slots, check out our slots menu today.
Does a house edge of 2% (or whatever it is) mean that you’ll lose 2% of your money every time you play? Not at all. These are theoretical percentages and are calculated over thousands of spins on a slot or hands in a blackjack game.
So that’s a wrap when it comes to house edge and odds for slots or blackjack, but does the better average house edge for blackjack mean it’s the better choice? Not quite. To better understand which game is going to be the best for you, let’s have a look at the advantages of each.
Advantages of playing slots vs blackjack
- No Strategy or Skill Required. Slot games are very easy to play and you don’t need to apply any strategy or make decisions – other than the size of your bet, that is.
- Jackpots and Bigger Payouts. Many slots offer progressive jackpots or big multiplier payouts, as opposed to the even-money or 3 to 2 payout in blackjack.
- More Variety. Slots come in many different variations, which means you’ll always have something new to play – especially when considering our menu of over 1,000 casino games in total, and that goes for slots or blackjack games.
- Wide Betting Range. Slot games can cost anywhere between $0.10 to $100 or even more per spin. This makes them attractive to all types of players – big or small.
- Exciting Range of Themes and Features. Many slot games offer extra features and bonus games that make playing them a heap of fun. They also come with various themes and you can find anything to suit your mood.
- Casino Bonuses and Promotions. Most casinos offer bonus funds when making a deposit to play slots. These offers usually do not apply to table games such as blackjack. At Punt Casino, for example, you can claim a 150% BONUS with your first deposit, and it even includes 15 FREE SPINS on Gods vs Titans – one of our top slots at Punt.
Advantages of playing blackjack vs slots
- Better Odds and House Edge (in most cases). As we’ve come to learn, blackjack does offer the better house edge and payout odds when comparing slots vs blackjack. It’s not always the case, but for the most part, it’s true.
- Opportunity to Influence the Outcome. If you learn how to play blackjack well and how to use basic strategy, you can influence the outcome of the game and possibly reduce the edge that the house has by making the correct choices and playing smart.
- More Engaging. If you enjoy keeping your mind occupied with the game while playing, blackjack is the game for you. It allows you to interact and perform actions when playing, instead of just clicking the spins button for the duration of your play in slots.
- Basic Payouts. Blackjack offers pretty basic payouts of either 1 to 1, 3 to 2 for landing a blackjack (sometimes 6 to 5), or a push (draw). There are some variations that offer side bets with bigger payouts, but the basics stay the same.
- Different Variations Online. Both slots or blackjack games come in many varieties – not as many in blackjack, but if you’re a keen blackjack player, you’ll have many options to choose from created by different providers when playing online.
Slots or blackjack? Why not both?
By now you should have a good idea of which game is better for you when comparing slots vs blackjack. But has it occurred that you don’t need to make this tough choice? We have tons of slots and blackjack games available at Punt, and they’re all yours for the picking.
Why not take a break from spinning the reels for a few quick double-your-moneys in blackjack? Or take a shot at riches in the best jackpot slots after hitting it big on the cards?
Our point is that there is no clear choice between slots or blackjack – both have their benefits and it all depends on YOU. But hey, if you really need to make the choice, the best way to decide between slots vs blackjack is to play them all, so good luck and may the force be with you.
With over a decade in the online gambling industry and a passion for all things crypto, Ethan offers valuable insight into playing at Punt with in-depth reviews, gambling guides, and informative content to help our readers make the best of their Punt Casino experience. Get all the ins and outs of crypto gambling with Ethan and our team of gambling experts right here, on the Punt Casino blog.